Tuesday 14 January 2014

First Finished Project of the Year

I loved Yarndale in September and bought a few skeins of the most beautiful yarn.  However, finding the "right" project for it has proved trickier!  I have never spent that much on a single ball of wool, so the hand dyed, silk skein needed special treatment.  Having only bought one skein, my options were a little limited - but I could only really justify buying one.

I settled on this pattern - available on ravelry.  Sorry about the photos, there hasn't been much good light for photography recently.   I am quite pleased with the wrap, which I shall mainly wear as a scarf.  I have never used silk yarn before, it definitely needed blocking.  It was more than a little scary, soaking my hard work, and then stretching it out across the hall landing for 48 hours!  But it was worth it.  I don't think it was my favourite to crochet with, but it is very pretty - if I do say so myself!  The little beads are so unusual, and I have already worn it to work.






So, that's my first project completed.  I am already working in the next.  I'm just starting a new blanket!  It definitely feels right to be starting a new big project at the start of the new year.

x


7 comments:

  1. It is beautiful Sara, both the scarf that you made and the yarn that you chose! The little beads are very pretty and I like the sheen of the finished shawl too. I can imagine that you would have been scared getting it wet and blocking it, but it looks as though it made it very beautiful indeed, so well worth it. I hope that you keep on loving wearing it and get lots of compliments on it - you deserve them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, it's beautiful! I love it so much. The colors are so pretty and the beads are a lovely touch. My mother-in-law is a weaver and she often puts beads at the ends of fringes on her shawls. I love to watch her put the beads on. You did a great job with this and you should be proud. It was a great use for this pretty yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really very lovely ~ well done! I've got a lace scarf that I made myself last year and I've still not plucked up the courage to block it yet. Seeing how lovely yours is I may do it sometime soon :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that looks very complicated, just lovely...well done! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks gorgeous Sara. The yarn looks wonderful and I think you chose the perfect project for it.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your kind comments :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! It looks like a lot of time and skill went into that lovely yarn, and it shows. I hope you're proud of it. When I block things I stretch them and spray them with water. I've never tried soaking things before hand but I bet it gives you a better finish. x

    ReplyDelete